Thursday

No More "FaceTime"

Over the holiday break, I was able to spend a lot more time than usual with my family, especially because I have an older brother in college.  While the increased family time was great, I noticed how much my siblings and cousins were on phones or iPads almost all day, even using phones at dinner.  I couldn't help but think of how relevant this was in the grand scheme of things, so I decided to do some research to find out how experts thought this behavior was affecting our society.

In this article, many great points are brought up about how cell phones are killing social interaction; even in 2007.  And I think it's safe to say that cell phone and other mobile device use has skyrocketed since 2007.  Think about how frequently you pull out your phone whenever there's a free moment in your day, or how you're always buried in your phone whenever you're sitting somewhere alone.  Cell phones kill any chance of you actually experiencing something useful during this time.

For instance, last week I was having a conversation with a teammate of mine on the basketball team I said to him, "Could you imagine how much more productive people would be with schoolwork if everyone had your phone instead of an iPhone?"  He responded quickly by saying, "Or just more productive in life in general and basic human interaction."  What he said could not have been more true, and I had never really thought about it that much until then.  Whenever I am with friends, or really anyone for that matter, a few minutes never go by without someone checking their phone.  For whatever reason, people seem to feel the need to always be connected to something or someone bigger; such as texting people who they're not with, or checking out what's going on in social media at the moment.

Nowadays, no one seems to ever be content just sitting alone thinking, or sitting alone in public.  While alone, people should at least spend a little time in self-thought and reflect on their day.  People are so worried about what's happening on Facebook or Instagram, that they never really get to think about what's going on in their own lives.  Also, I feel like meeting new people for recreation is an art this is being diminished by cell phones and mobile devices.  While I am also guilty of having my head buried in my cell phone at most times when I'm in public alone, it is almost always well worth the effort of striking up a conversation with someone you don't know.

While I don't think this trend will slow down at all, I think it is important for people to think about how much they are on their phones throughout the day, and how much they could be missing.  Because there's an entire world outside of that three inch screen in front of your face; if you're willing to just leave it in your pocket.

What do you think of the increased use of mobile devices?  Do you notice these same trends in today's society?  Are you guilty of always being on a cell phone?



1 comment:

  1. A great idea for a post, David. But what's the American angle, here? Is it a function of our need to be constantly entertained? Is it the media's insistence on constantly pushing entertainment in order to make money?

    I agree with much of what you say but you need to be careful of the source you used -- it's only an editorial and does not provide any hard evidence. Furthermore, it (and your post) comes across as a generational gripe, "these kids today are so...[insert complaint here]"

    How about an analysis of the article (a quote?) or of the included photo? That could make this writing stronger.

    ReplyDelete